Thursday, April 19, 2007

ForJustiveness

Forgiveness vs. Justice

I'll take C.) None of the Above.

Seriously, I wish there was a happy medium. They both sound so.... so.... final. I'm not really into finality.

The only way that I can approach this subject is to apply the notion of each to individual situations. For instance, we had two in the news recently. One where forgiveness would have been perfectly appropriate, but instead "justice" (to some) was carried out... And the other where justice -- had he not taken the cowardly approach and offed himself -- most certainly would have been called for.

Forgiveness has always been a problem for me. "Power" is something I've strived for in almost all of my relationships; the two don't exactly co-exist.

Probably the most high-profile example of this in my life is my dealing with my son's father. And I use that term very loosely. Sperm donor is probably more accurate. He's never done anything for us. Ever. Back when Ryan was a baby and I was still living in my "this will all work out and we'll be a happy family" bubble, I forgave way too much. I've never received a dime of child support. My son is 19. The father was/is a not good person. Abusive. Neglectful. Bad. Ryan missed out on having a father, and I struggled for years when I shouldn't have had to. Can I/should I forgive him for all the things he did/didn't to and for me?

People always say that not forgiving someone is more damaging for [you] than for the person needing the forgiveness. And ultimately, that probably is true. However, because I've always considered the act of forgiveness with handing over power, it's extremely hard for me. Does Ryan's father care if I "forgive" him? Nope. After all these years does it make me crazy? Nope. Hardly even think about it. But if someone asked me if I had forgiven him, the answer would be no.

Also, I don't feel like I need to actively impart any sort of "justice" on him. I believe that missing out on having a relationship with a son as wonderful and amazing as mine (not "ours"; "mine") is justice enough. This also holds true for my grandmother who refuses to acknowledge my son's existence because he is half-black. Their loss, and thus justice is served.

The "finality" part. Once you have forgiven someone, you're done. In theory. But are you? How do you ensure that the feelings of anger, disappointment, etc. don't come bubbling back up? It's such a struggle to maintain aforementioned forgiveness, because as humans, it's so hard to forget. Yes, I recognize that one of the things we hear is "I forgive, but I'll never forget." Is that forgiveness?

Someone else talked about how it's easy for her to forgive. If I was being honest, I would probably say that I find it easy as well (contrary to how this post has gone up to now). But my forgiveness is selective. In my past it's been used most often as it relates to men. Waaaaaaay too forgiving (think: doormat) and it's unfortunate that that has molded much of my outlook on forgiveness as a whole.

Of course, as far as my friends and family are concerned, I'm also quick to forgive. Would they agree with that? I'm not sure. It might seem that I choose both: first a l'il bit of justice, then the forgiveness. Can I do that? Is that greedy?

I suppose that as long as I have "forgiveness" inextricably linked with "giving up power" I will have a tough time.

Because on my list of things I can't give up? Power over myself (and others if they will let me) is way up top.

But. Do I want to be forgiven? Of course. I provide plenty of opportunities for others to make this choice. Plenty. But I also realize that I need to take accountability for my actions. Maybe sometimes justice is required.

So perhaps instead I will say C.) All of the Above.

Julie.... thanks so much for the idea for this discussion. It's been a great opportunity to use my otherwise mushy brain, both writing mine and reading others.

4 comments:

Gwen said...

It's interesting that you brought power into this discussion. Is it possible that forgiving is a kind of power, too? Actually, Jen of oneplustwo and Bub&Pie both touched on this, I think, the power that forgiveness affords the forgiver.

The truth is--as you illustrated so aptly in your post--that forgiveness is hella easier to talk about than it is to achieve.

Julie Pippert said...

Ahh power...ceding power. Very interesting. I had to ponder a bit, probably need to a bit more.

Okay bear with me a sec...

If I feel hurt or harmed, it's because I care. I've invested. Investing is a sort of ceding of power in a way, isn't it? It's definitely an opening up, a being vulnerable. If that trust is abused, and I am hurt, then I need to work to forgiveness to relieve myself. To unburden myself.

When you mention power, it makes me think of some things:

1. Since I am hurt, I have already ceded power.

2. By forgiving, I empower myself over the hurt.

3. I remove the harmer's power over me.

(Err duh, is that what Gwen just said?)

In your shoes, I'd be more concerned with feeling like forgiveness was a release of culpability (and I'd have a lot of mixed feelings or anger and disappointment and sorrow, knowing me). I've worked long and hard to begin to understand that it's not.

I don't think justice, forgiveness or anything in between is linear...as in finished.

I don't think your greedy. I think that in some way there is justice (although I don't think it's always a punishment...if that makes sense, the justice might be a reward as in "hitting rock bottom and turning things around.") and forgiveness.

Excellent points.

Tracy said...

Yeah, the power thing for me.... can't seem to shake it. But Julie, I love what you said about justice not necessarily meaning punishment... my brain hadn't made it that far.

And Gwen -- I'd love to get to a point where I can exercise my power BY forgiving... but it still gives me a pit in my stomach when I look at it that way.

This whole introspection thing is exhausting me... but it's such a great thing to think about. Something I've not done (thinking about THIS, not thinking in general!) in far too long.

Anonymous said...

Good thoughts. I think when you think of what do I want--forgiveness or justice--when I've wronged someone, I definitely want forgiveness. If I jostle someone, I don't want to have to let them jostle me back. But, of course, a person who was rude when jostled, I would probably make every effort to be more careful around the next time--but I wouldn't necessarily want to be too friendly with them either.

And I don't think forgiveness always brings immediate finality. I think when forgiving hard things, you have to forgive and forgive and forgive until you reach a place of final forgiveness. Doesn't Anne Lamott talk about that in "Blue Shoes"?

Maybe I like all of the above, too.