Saturday, March 24, 2007

Only in my dreams

I had a dream last night.... that I had another baby.

Because I dream so often, I'm able to look back on the day and see where some of the points come from. Last night I had dinner with a friend who was telling me about a young girl she'd met in Florida who had a small son with her. She said they reminded her of Ryan and me back when Ryan was younger.

Anyway, my dream was so real, yet so silly. The child was literally growing before my eyes... one minute crawling, the next minute walking, then having conversations with me. We were at a friend's house, and I was desperately trying to find something for his bottle, since he was crying from hunger. All I could see was chocolate milk, but I remember thinking, "Just wait a minute... he'll be old enough to eat solid food in a little while."

I'm sure some of this has to do with my thinking/discussing how fast Ryan has grown up... sometimes it feels like it was right before my eyes like this.

It's so amazing how quickly things happen. I can't believe that I'm 40 and that my son is 19! How can this be? He was just in elementary school!

Today I went for a walk in my neighborhood, and as I was walking down the street, I was reminded of a time about 13 years ago when we lived in the next town over. I didn't have a car at the time, and I had to get him to a doctor for his school checkup. I was new to the area and didn't have a pediatrician yet. The doctor I found was in the area where I now live, and I so clearly remember riding on the bus to get to her office, looking out the window and wishing so much that I could live around here. At the time, it was virtually impossible; there was no way I could afford it.

It's funny how things change... which is why I'm still so grateful --even after 7 years of living here -- when I come home to my neighborhood, that that particular dream really did come true.

No comments: